Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What month is it, garden help, and a recipe

The other day, as I was working in the seed starting greenhouse, the irony of this growing season became apparent. The calendar tells me it's early August, the weather seems June-like (some days more like November), crops coming off seem more like mid-July, my energy level feels like November, but the seed-starting greenhouse looks like mid-April!

Lots of fall crops in my funky-looking but functional seed starting tunnel. (April-like)

A cozy Sunday afternoon in the UP, July 28th. (November-like)

No matter what month it really is, there's lots of food being harvested. Lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, summer squash, arugula, braising mix, scallions, kale, swiss chard, endive, escarole, and green peppers have been filling up our market tables. The tomatoes are still waiting for summer, not realizing they better get a move on. :)


Simpson Elite, a beautiful ruffly lettuce, growing happily in the cool weather.


Lakota Squash

The above winter squash is one of some different winter squash we are trialing this year. Beautiful looking, I'm hoping they are as tasty as they are pretty. If they pass the trial, I may grow some out for market next year.

The other day, while hoeing a late squash/zucchini bed, I heard a voice behind me, "Dad, can I do that?" Looked around, and my son John was coming along. I asked him if he wanted to, he said yep, so I turned him loose with the hoe. I had to get the camera going. 


John, affectionately nick-named Pooh, helping wear out a collinear hoe.

Now here's a good recipe from one of the faithful Hancock Tori shoppers, Susan Burack.


Vegetable Casserole
(Susan Burack)
 

2 # approx Swiss Chard, or collards, spinach, combo of greens
------
2 T butter
2 T olive oil
3 onions, chopped
3 or more cloves garlic chopped
6 small zucchini, sliced or diced
1 c basil, chopped
1/2 c parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper
-----
6-8 eggs, beaten
3/4 c Swiss (or other) cheese, grated
3/4 c Parmesan (or other) cheese, grated

Steam greens in an inch of salted water until wilted, drain and chop.

Heat butter & olive oil. Cook onions until wilted. Add garlic, zucchini,basil, parsley, salt, and pepper and cook until barely tender, stirring.

Combine greens, vegetable mixture, cheese and egg mixture

Bake in greased pan for 25 - 30 min at 375 degrees F

Tian is the French for casserole and there are many variations. Be creative!



 To end this post, here's some pictures I ran across while getting the recent ones off my camera for this post.


Twilight view from the canoe in Otter Lake, last fall.

Another shot of Otter Lake, last fall as well.

Another serene scene, don't remember exactly where I took this one.

And my apologies for this last one to those who love the "swatting season" here in the UP, but not the "shoveling season". I'm not quite ready for the following scene either, but it is beautiful none-the-less. :)


Snow on the trees bordering our walking trail, photo by Janice.

Time to go..............ya'll take care now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment